Monday, May 14, 2012

MORRISSEY LIVE IN MANILA, MAY 13,2012: SOME THOUGHTS AND AFTERTHOUGHTS





 Great show! Excellent performance by Morrissey. Aside from being an exceptional singer and lyricist,  with his trademark style of  vocal delivery and adorable theatrical antics; Morrissey is  charming , witty and humorous. Example: Addressing the audience in a deadpan manner after a song, he said something like,  "You know  I've got so many things to tell you ... but I don't know were to begin (I thought he was serious)... and so I won't."(hahahah!)

Great band! but of course with my eyes focused on Morrissey, it was only the drummer’s act (especially  the skillful  use of the  gong and a different kind large  drum) among the other band members which I found very  noticeable. Watching at the Titanium section(free-seating), how  I wish there were huge LCD screens on the sides so I could have caught a clearer glimpse of Morrissey’s long time collaborator, Boz Boorer and the other band members.

I was  glad that his band weren’t topless and Boozer was not in his transgender attire!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got to the venue quite early at exactly 5:50 PM in my watch and was able to park with a clear view  of the entrance of the WTC building. There were only a little over 10 cars parked at that time. I saw a familiar face huddling with his companions near the entrance. Known as Pogz, he is the lead singer of the  Smiths/Morrissey  tribute/cover band here in the Philippines, the  Dead Pop Stars (see YouTube).  I spent the next hour   inside my car observing and priming myself by listening  to Morrissey’s songs in my Ipod. By 7:10 PM  I heard the security guard telling one of the drivers of the long queue of cars waiting to park,  to proceed at the back as the spacious front parking area was already full. The audience were allowed to go inside the venue at around 6:30 PM. That’s about one and half hour before the concert time (8:00) which indicates that the concert will probably start on time. It started at 8:30 PM. There was no front act.

It doesn't matter wherever  you were located in the reserved seats section  because the moment the concert started, almost everybody left their seats and rushed in front, standing  as close as possible to the stage .

 Those who did not watch live, may mistaken a picture of the reserved section with almost half of the seats appearing  vacant, as vacant.

The concert was well-attended with quite a number of what seemed to me as foreigners. Of course majority of the crowd are in their 30s and 40s, the kids and teen-agers during the 80's. It is worth mentioning that standing in front of me were three teen-age looking fans enthusiastically singing and dancing.

As to the setlist, except for a song or two it is  identical with their gigs in South Korea, Singapore and Indonesia . So if you were following this tour, you won’t have any problems.

Those who were hoping, praying or expecting, “This Charming Man,” “Panic,””Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now,” “Suedehead,” ”Hair Dresser On Fire,” and of course “The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get,” may be a little disappointed.  I wonder why he didn't  include “The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get,” for this tour. It is one of his most famous song.

In general, I think the setlist is fine. A balance of  early popular hits,  a  personal ( Morrissey) favorite album track  like “Speedway,” songs from his last three albums and of course from the Smiths .With his many great songs  it will be difficult to make  a setlist that will please everyone. For this tour he included a cover version of Frankie Valli’s,  “To Give (The Reason I Live)." Will it be included in his next album?

Set List:How Soon Is Now? / You Have Killed Me / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / First Of The Gang To Die / Speedway / Black Cloud / You're The One For Me, Fatty / I Will See You In Far Off Places / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Meat Is Murder / Let Me Kiss You / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / I Know It's Over // There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

19 songs total: Smiths – 6
                        Viva Hate -1
                        Your Arsenal -1
                        Vauxhall and I -1
                        Maladjusted – 1
                        You Are The Quarry -2
                        Ringleader Of The Tormentors – 2
                        Years Of Refusal -3
                         Non-album single – 1(Ouija Board, Ouija Board)
                         Cover – 1

I think the high points of the concert were the following songs: “First Of The Gang To Die,” “Every Day Is Like Sunday,” "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Love Me," "I Know It’s Over" and  “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.” ( Thank God!).   
********************************************************************************
I checked  the set lists in their Asian tour. The last time they sang "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" was April 19, 2012 during their first  gig in Japan ( also their first  gig in this Asian tour). That was 12 gigs ago. A wish came true for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations to the lucky one who got the shirt that Morrissey threw!

Although he performed 19 songs,   the concert was seemingly  short. Well, time really flies especially if you are enjoying the show. As they say in the vernacular, “bitin”or not enough. After saying goodbye following their last number, the crowd was actually still for about  a minute, perhaps thinking or hoping   for one last number. I was telling my companion  they'll be back for one more, which is,  “Still Ill." He was telling me, “ it’s over, didn’t you see the drummer threw his drum sticks.” When the  crew started putting the guitars inside their respective cases, that was when the crowd started to disperse.
************************************************************************
 To me,  their was something missing or lacking(or what?) with the crowd. I thought the Smiths/Morrissey fans here would at least equal our  Indonesian brothers epic display of love for Morrissey ( view YouTube). The crowd was relatively  'well- behaved' last night. Before his 15th number or right after the great reception of "Everyday Is Like Sunday,"  Morrissey even jokingly  told  the crowd  "It's about time you loosen up. Don't be afraid, let yourself go, because if you don't,  everybody else will and where will you be?  Gone".( hahahah)

 ********************************************************************************* 

If you compare the ticket price of Morrissey's concert here with his 80's contemporaries, what does it tell us? Well, we can  brag that the  cost of the cheapest seat in Morrissey's (a vintage act) concert here is actually almost double  the cost of the cheapest seat in Lady GaGa's (currently the world's hottest)  upcoming concert here on May 21 and 22. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those like me wondering what were  those pre-concert videos shown. I got this from
Morrissey-Solo.com.

1. I'm not saying - Nico
2. Mighty Joe - Shocking Blue
3. Never turn your back on Mother Earth - Sparks
4. All over the world - Francoises Hardy
5. Bubble Gum - Brigitte Bardot
6 .Looking for a Kiss - New York Dolls
********************************************************************************
CHOW! Thank you. (the last words  Morrissey uttered)





Picture taken near  the border of the reserved seats and the Titanium section.









          

No comments:

Post a Comment