Saturday, March 24, 2012

New Wave, Post-punk and related albums that blew me away (Part 1)


            


               I just found out today, while surfing the internet that From the Lions Mouth, The Sound's (a post-punk band from the late 70's up to mid-80's) second album , originally released in 1981,  was again reissued in CD format just this January, 2012. This album , first reissued  by Renascent Records  in  2002, was already out-of-print for many years. It  is a much sought after CD among New Wave and Post-punk  enthusiast and usually sells at auction sites like Ebay  at a very steep price. I saw one sold at Ebay three years ago for about $150. I for one got my copy in such a prohibitive price (by CD standard) that I don’t want to even remember it; so, I   buried it in my subconscious! (Is that possible?)  This CD is for keeps anyway. 
           
            Prior to hearing From the Lions Mouth I have only known just one The Sound song and that is, the highly emotional, “Total Recall,”  popular among New Wavers here ,  as it was played  in radio stations that caters for New Wave music during the 80's and is often found in various New Wave compilations.

            It  was  four years ago when I got  intrigued by the fuss with this CD.  After doing some research and some inquiries from my New Wave acquaintances, I learned that The Sound, is a great 80's post-punk band  that was given little recognition during their existence and the album From the Lions Mouth is regarded as one of the masterpiece post-punk release of that era. Thanks to file-sharing I was able to obtain my initial  copy; and upon hearing, my reaction was , "Wow!"--no wonder it is a much  sought after record.  It was really TERRIFIC! I was blown way! And as the saying goes, the rest  was history, as  my wallet got blown away too.
          
          Anyway, this got me thinking about other New Wave, Post-punk  and related albums in my collection that likewise blew me away. Those impressive  albums that (if I may use my favorite cliche), "instantly grab you by the neck” or  hook  you immediately on  initial  play or almost  instantly forms an emotional connection with you. After scanning my CD collections, I came up with the following: 

1. The Sound - From The Lions Mouth

2. Echo and the Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here

3. The Lotus Eaters - No Sense of Sin

4. The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge: Superb album!  By the way,  "Tears" is the only Chameleons song  I've heard played on New Wave radio stations in the 80's. "Perfume Garden" & "Tears" are the only Chameleons' songs I have seen in various New Wave compilations here in the Philippines.

5. Tear For Fears- The Hurting

6. The Church - Heyday: The  first New Wave album ( a cassette tape actually) I bought. It was 1986, I was in a record store looking for a cassette tape containing "The  Unguarded Moment" song when I stumbled  upon this album. Even though not knowing any song in it,  I purchased it and I'm glad I did. Incidentally, at that time I didn't know that "The Unguarded Moment" was released wayback in  1981. I thought it was a new song then because it was being played frequently on the  radio.      

7. Depeche Mode - Black Celebration: I thought then that the Depeche Mode 81-85 Singles Collection would be enough for me,  until I decided to buy this CD  for the bonus track "But Not Tonight".  Ever since, I've followed all their studio album  releases. 


8. The Wild Swans - Bringing Home the Ashes 

9. The Cure - Disintegration

10.   Michael Head (The Strands) - The Magical World of the Strands: I bought this CD based only on  the 'name recognition' of Michael Head (of The Pale Fountains). Absolutely stunning!

11. Prefab Sprout - Andromeda Heights: I just bought this because it was selling very cheap.(A used copy). Glad I did!  This is my favorite Prefab Sprout album  even though it doesn't have any of their popular hits.

12. Echo and the Bunnymen - Flowers:  I did not even know they still exist,  until my brother brought this CD  from  the U.S. in  2003.  Hearing this blew me away and my love for New wave music was  rekindled.    

13. Echo and the Bunnymen - Siberia.


15.The Wild Swans - The Coldest Winter for a Hundred Years


No comments:

Post a Comment